Saturday, September 3, 2016

What We're Doing In American History



History is one of my favorite subjects, so it mattered a lot to me that we love learning it, and so far we do! We are reading about four pages of A History of US each week, beginning with prehistory. We are now covering the earliest Native American Tribes. Along with that we're watching a short (about 10 minute) documentary about whatever the book covers that week. We are also reading Om-Kas-Toe, which is good historical fiction about a Blackfeet Indian boy. We spend about 20-30 minutes, twice a week on US history.

My plan is that we'll cover history up to the Revolution this year. I've got movies, biographies and fiction selected to go along with the book series. As we get toward spring I would dearly love to take a trip East and see Jamestown, Plymouth Planation, Colonial Williamsburg, Salem, Philadelphia and Boston. That's unlikely to happen, but maybe if I pick just one place we could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment