Thursday, July 7, 2016

Homeschooling As A Full Time Working Parent




I'm asked how I do it, and I haven't even tried to answer that question yet, but I think it's time to try. It may help me to write it out.

I am working 40 hours a week in the child welfare field. I have a four day a week schedule. My husband also works four long days each week. We have one day off together each week. That leaves two days a week that one of us is not at home. So far we've been playing it week by week with various arrangements. I've been using vacation days, our son's had some babysitters, he's gone to work with his father and a few times I've worked from home.

I'm the one who has planned the curriculum and makes the lesson plans. On my three days off our son does a "full day" of school, meaning almost all subjects. He does two shorter days of school with my husband. We do "school" five days a week, but not on the traditional Monday through Friday schedule. School work happens in the morning and early afternoon.  We are also trying to do school (mostly) year round, with several vacations thrown in.

That's basically it.

But you should also know that my house is not very clean, I have very little time to myself or to do social things with adults, and it's quite a bit of pressure. I would be hesitant to recommend to anyone else that they should work and homeschool at the same time. In our case there are circumstances which make it the best thing to do right now. That's a subject for a different day.

If I were not 100% sure that there is no other way, I don't think I would have the ability to do it. Mothers seem to find the energy to meet their family needs, no matter how difficult. And truly, I enjoy a whole lot of my overly-full life.





No comments:

Post a Comment